The term "trans feminine" can mean different things to different people. Some possible definitions include:
- Current identity — "Trans feminine" can just mean "feminine" (like "trans woman" means just "woman"), which means "feminine of center". This definition could be construed to only include people who are feminine-presenting or genderfluid folks who are currently feminine-leaning.
- Transition direction — Which way someone is currently transitioning. People who are changing their gender in a more feminine direction from where they were shortly before. This definition would include DFAB folks who transitioned towards masculine and later decided to de-transition.
- Assigned gender — "Trans feminine" just means "DMAB"; this definition would exclude DFAB folks.
- Assumed assigned gender — If people on the street regularly assume someone is DMAB, and they're visibly trans, then that person may face some of the same stigma as other trans-feminine folks, regardless of whether they're DMAB.
- Some inclusive combination of the above — Acknowledge that it can mean different things to different people, and include anyone who falls into a related definition.