Hiren's v13.2 (14 Apr 2011) takes a number of steps to boot up.
Hiren's v9.5 (31 March 2008) takes a number of steps to boot up.
Emulated floppy (A:, 1.44mb)
(This is the first stage used on a floppy-emulation boot CD
- jo.sys — "do you really want to boot here? [y/N]"
- config.sys-based menu — the user selects which package they want to run. Selection gets put in %config%.
- startup.bat — creates RAM disk, and extracts drivers.cab and usb_aspi.cab into it
RAM disk (R:, 32mb)
- loads drivers so that the stage2 files are visible
CD-ROM (C:, 90+mb)
(this is the second stage in the traditional floppy-emulation scheme)
- A:\autoexec.bat runs call %config%.bat
- R:\temp\%config%.bat usually calls cab.bat (just a wrapper around uharcd.exe) to extract the files from C:\%config%.uha and run them