sewing machine intro class for trans folks
I plan to run a sewing machine intro class held at Pumping Station: One, at some point. PS:One regularly holds free skill-share classes, so this is a good fit for it, I believe. PS:One has two sewing machines available, and tables for several more machines if I can get a few people to bring personal ones.
The class would be billed as "sewing machine intro for trans folks", but would probably be clearly described as "for cis folks too", since PS:One would likely mandate that, in order to use their space. My caveat would probably be something like:
"The focus will be on altering clothing to better fit trans folks, but anyone with an interest in sewing is free to attend. There will be a zero-tolerance policy on transphobia during the event."
Trans folks almost universally have a difficult time finding clothes that fit their unique bodies. While there are a few workarounds, by far the best and most empowering solution is to learn how to modify store-bought clothing yourself.
At the same time, trans folks are chronically underemployed due to stigma, so we usually don't have the funds to pay someone to alter garments.
- Shellie gave general approval for the class to go ahead
- Shellie is actually willing to lead the teaching portion of the class (!!) yay
- three sewing machines are in working order
- contact Matt, see if they're willing to help (they have a LOT of sewing background, and are a trans ally)
- find out if there are any sewing machine owners who might be willing to allow their machines to be used by neophytes (if nobody is willing to, due to risk of damage, then the class might be harder to hold)
- pick out a day to hold the class — Shellie wants this finalized
- buy at least one copy of the Complete Guide to Sewing (for myself; once the class is confirmed-all-go, I'll want to have several copies on-hand)
- once the class is scheduled, and everything is a go:
- buy a sewing machine myself, so we have one more machine to bring in to class
- buy several copies of the Complete Guide to Sewing