A list of social justice discussions on scientifically-oriented subreddits. Caveat: I don't agree with all comments. (academics have class privilege and other forms of privilege, so there are certain life experiences they're not familiar with, and their privilege shapes their view of the world) But I do think a scientific grounding is important.
- How did "white people" become one race in the United States when there used to be so many nationality distinctions?
[AskHistorians, 2 top-level comments, Oct 2017]
- How true is the statement "Race is a modern idea. Ancient societies, like the Greeks, did not divide people according to physical distinctions, but according to religion, status, class, even language"?
[AskHistorians, 8 top-level comments, Apr 2016]
- Why are African people (and people from the African diaspora) called "black?" Was it by simple analogy of Europeans being "white," or did that come later? Were Africans labeled "black" as a method of dehumanizing or demonizing them?
[AskHistorians, 3 top-level comments, Jan 2016]
- What do anthropologists think about the use of the phrase "cultural appropriation?"
[AskAnthropology, 16 comments, Jan 2014]
- Is yoga cultural appropriation?
[AskSocialScience, 14 comments, , Dec 2013]
- Is there an economic incentive to stop discriminating?
[AskSocialScience, 9 comments, Dec 2013]
- Maybe Tacitus was wrong - is there any proof of pre-modern tribes that punished homosexuality by death?
[AskAnthropology, 35 comments, Dec 2013]
- Was Indian/South Asian society less homophobic before invasion and colonization by Muslims and Christians?
[AskSocialScience, 23 comments, Dec 2013]
- Reddit, is criticizing different races and cultures racist?
[AskAnthropology, 71 comments, Dec 2013]
- Why does there seem to be a popular opinion that what Miley Cyrus did is racist?
[AskSocialScience, 39 comments, Nov 2013]
- Are there any "legitimate" historians who believe the American Civil War was about anything besides slavery?
[AskHistorians, 22 comments, Nov 2013]
- AMA - US Race Relations 1865-1965
[AskHistorians, 69 comments, Nov 2013]
- What is "cultural appropriation"?
[AskSocialScience, 30 comments, Oct 2013]
- Why were poor whites in the Southern States usually pro-slavery, when in all likelihood, it made their lives more difficult?
[AskHistorians, 33 comments, Oct 2013]
- What's up with the prevalence of african-american characters as brand advertising around the turn of the century? Things like Uncle Ben, Aunt Jemima, Cream of Wheat, etc?
[AskHistorians, 106 comments, Sep 2013]
- How did the rest of the world react to the American Civil War?
[AskHistorians, 45 comments, Aug 2013]
- Why was there no movement in ancient Rome to abolish slavery? And if there was; are there any examples?
[AskHistorians, 30 comments, Aug 2013]
- Is this article on female/male brain differences accurate?
[AskScience, 11 comments, Aug 2013]
- What's the dominant opinion in your field regarding the future of poor, crime-ridden, inner-city communities?
[AskSocialScience, 60 comments, Aug 2013]
- Was the treatment of European Catholic immigrants to the US in the late 19th and early 20th century comparable to the way Americans treat Hispanics immigrants and Europeans treat Muslim immigrants today (with a lot of suspicion and discrimination)?
[AskHistorians, 26 comments, Jul 2013]
- Why is it so hard for many (most?) african countries to get out of poverty?
[AskSocialScience, 33 comments, Jul 2013]
- I don't have a clear picture of what slavery in Europe was like during the era previous to abolition. Does the UK, for example, have anything similar to the lore that we have in the US?
[AskHistorians, 100 comments, Jul 2013]
- What significant scientific, technological, medical or other innovations have come out of Africa?
[AskHistorians, 168 comments, Jun 2013]
- Not to sound racist, but I'm genuinely curious of the historical roots. Why are fried chicken and watermelon (or even the entire "soul food" cuisine) commonly associated with the African American diet? What were the socioeconomic reasons for this to come about, if any at all?
[AskHistorians, 76 comments, May 2013]
- Is there such a thing as an "Indian race" or is "Indian" an ethnic group?
[AskScience, 61 comments, May 2013]
- Why do "black" and "white" persist as labels for races/cultures/skin colours while "yellow" has mostly died out?
[AskSocialScience, 82 comments, May 2013]
- What is the evidence for and against racial differences in IQ?
[askscience, 23 comments, May 2013]
- Before the civil rights movement, was the civil war taught differently in US schools?
[AskHistorians, 10 comments, May 2013]
- Why did slavery and serfdom become illegal?
[AskHistorians, 43 comments, May 2013]
- Intelligence and Race
[AskSocialScience, 43 comments, Apr 2013]
- Was the CIA involved in selling Crack Cocaine to inner city persons to fund secret armies in Nicaragua?
[AskHistorians, 14 comments, Apr 2013]
- What was the status of Jews and Asians in America during racial segregation?
[AskHistorians, 30 comments, Mar 2013]
- Why are African-American families so often without a father?
[AskSocialScience, 69 comments, Mar 2013]
- [Meta] Can we allow exemplary personal experience?
[AskSocialScience, 29 comments, Mar 2013]
- Is the Harlem Shake meme cultural appropriation?
[AskSocialScience, 55 comments, Mar 2013]
- How did American Inner-City Gangs develop?
[AskHistorians, 54 comments, Jan 2013]
- It's said that ancient Romans were so culturally and ethnically non-homogenous that "racism" as we now understand it did not exist for them. Is this true?
[AskHistorians, 137 comments, Nov 2012]
- Do reverse racism, misandry and heterophobia exist?
[AskSocialScience, 110 comments, Nov 2012]
- What are the historical reasons for European prejudices towards Gypsies?
[AskHistorians, 200 comments, Oct 2012]
- From a genetic perspective are human races comparative with 'breeds' of dog?
[AskScience, 79 comments, Sep 2012]
- Is the scientific consensus that all races are equally intelligent?
[AskScience, 74 comments, Sep 2012]
- Why is the drop out rate for blacks in America so high?
[AskSocialScience, 263 comments, Sep 2012]
- Your Opinion: How accurate is it to say the Civil War was fought over slavery?
[AskHistorians, 48 comments, Aug 2012]
- how does urban poverty develop?
[AskHistorians, 15 comments, Jul 2012]
- Is there a genetic difference between the races?
[AskScience, 51 comments, May 2012]
- Causes of the American Civil War?
[AskHistorians, 29 comments, Apr 2012]
- Why does the United States have such a weak welfare state compared to many European countries?
[AskSocialScience, 66 comments, Apr 2012]
- In historical slavery in the USA, was it a legal requirement that slaves were black?
[AskHistorians, 40 comments, Apr 2012]
- Where there slaves in Europe the same way as in the US? What happened with them?
[AskHistorians, 37 comments, Mar 2012]
- What factors pull people out of poverty (when they were born into it)?
[AskSocialScience, 26 comments, Mar 2012]
- How are IQ tests considered racially biased?
[AskScience, 278 comments, Feb 2012]
- When did homophobia become an accepted social position?
[AskSocialScience, 18 comments, Feb 2012]
- Just saw LINCOLN where he was portrayed as having unwavering loyalty to abolitionism. General questions about the movie's accuracy
[AskHistorians, 155 comments, Nov 2012]
- Economically speaking, would "White Flight" benefit non-whites?
[AskSocialScience, 12 comments, Nov 2011]
- Is it possible that some African Americans are better at physical activities because they were selectively bred during slavery?
[AskScience, 516 comments, Oct 2011]
- Why do Caucasian people have coloured hair?
[AskScience, 100 comments, May 2011]
- Is it true that different races have different ranges of intelligence?
[askscience, 11 comments, Apr 2011]
Additionally, AskHistorians maintains a list of frequently asked questions for various topics:
Note to self: This is the search method I use to find new stories:
(this has gotten much too long though, so you'll have to delete 60% of it before it'll work)