document updated 5 years ago, on Mar 4, 2017
HOWTO setup the Kinetis Design Studio.
(specifically, I'm using the FRDM-KL82Z on Linux, but it should be generally applicable. When in doubt, carefully watch the videos.)
- download the SDK
- download the Kinetis Design Studio IDE
- on Ubuntu 64bit, you have to — sudo apt install libc6:i386 libncurses5:i386 libstdc++6:i386
- download the link titled "J-Link Software and Documentation Pack" here
- have it configure Kinetis Design Studio
(HOW do I do this on Linux?)
- install the Virtual Serial USB driver
(Not required for Linux. Though...
- install a terminal program
- (for example, you can install putty on Linux)
- (how do I know which /dev/ttyS* it shows up as?)
- note: if you get the error "Could not determine GDB version after sending: arm-none-eabi-gdb --version", then this is the right solution!
- for the virtual serial port:
- the speed is 115200
- if you're using Putty on Windows, then use this method to find out which COM port to use
- on Linux:
- TODO: use this "stty" trick!
- find out the port via — tail -f /var/log/syslog | grep tty — while you plug and unplug the board
- use Putty from ROOT