document updated 18 years ago, on Feb 21, 2005Various tips for earning money faster, leveling faster, etc...
- Play multiple characters. For a few reasons:
- If you only play one character, you don't gain rest while you're playing. If you have
several characters, you DO. If you have many characters that you play at least every 10
days, you earn a LOT of rest.
- Your gathering skills make you extra money, basically for free, while you're playing. Your
other skills don't. If you have one or more characters that you spend most of your time
with, they should have TWO gathering skills (skinning, mining, herbalism) and no production
- this post
explores in some depth why gathering skills tend to make more money than
production skills, which seems to be true in everquest as well. My take on it is that
raw ingredients have real economic value (because people are lazy), while most people
use production skills in a non-economic way (increasing their skill (this is a game,
skilling up is fun), or making EQ for themselves or guild members). Also, there tend to
be FAR fewer ingredients compared to the number of things you can make from them, so
demand for final products is quite a bit less, on a per-item basis.
- Selling enchanting ingredients at the AH is similar in profit-level gathering professions.
However, your active players don't need need to know enchanting to do this, they simply mail
good drops to your enchanter. Therefore, your most active money-earners effectively have
three gathering skills.
- Playing more characters gives you more storage room at the bank. Also, you can mail each
other items, and you can leave the items in the mailbox for 30 days, giving you even more
- While experience levels are required to level-up production skills in some cases, in many
cases, one of your higher-level alts can physically go get the recipe for them, allowing
them to procede as a pure producer even at experience level 1.
- There are minor other tweaks multiplaying gives you:
- instead of paying for flights to sell things at the AH, you can simply mail them (for 30
copper) to someone already at the AH
- hearthstones regenerate faster if you alternate characters rapidly
- An excellent way to earn money from disenchanting is to check the AH every 30 minutes, looking
for extremely undervalued armor that will end in 30 minutes (sell time: "short"). Just log your
enchanter in every 30 minutes to do this. Also, doing this during the night (when the world is
less populated) helps as well.