document updated 11 years ago, on Oct 30, 2012

overall process

To be certified as a Professional Engineer in the US, you must do each of these steps:
  1. Graduate with a degree from an Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology-accredited four-year university program in engineering. Ex. BS (Engg)/BSE/MS (Engg)/MSE Degree approved by ABET
  2. pass the FE exam
  3. accumulate four years of engineering experience
  4. pass the PE exam
If you only complete the first two, you can often be certified as an Engineer-In-Training (EIT) AKA Engineer Intern (EI).


Step 1 for me

I graduated with a CS at Purdue, which is not on the list

So... I would have to go back to Purdue and complete enough courses for another BS. Degrees that I might possibly choose:

bypassing Step 1

answer to "Are there other ways of qualifying to take the examination other than through an approved engineering degree?"

However, note that if you go this route, it *might* (I'm not sure) make it more difficult to be licensed in other states

in Illinois, the relevant statute is 225 ILCS 325/10(b):

Administrative rules:

bypassing Step 1 (another possibility)

go through the process that international students go through?

Step 2 for me

The version of the afternoon portion of the exam I would choose would probably be:

Step 4 for me

Specific versions of the PE that I might consider:

benefits to me

I want to be recognized by potential employers as an engineering-generalist, someone who has broad and deep knowledge outside of the specific path that my career has taken. This would hopefully open up a larger range of job possibilities.

Read more about possible benefits: [1] [2] [3] [4]

Read more about salary increases specifically: [1]

Additional job opportunities that might become available:

Okay, fuck it. You know why I want it? Prestige, that's why. I want people to know I'm a Jill Of All Trades.

immediate next steps