document updated 10 years ago, on Dec 16, 2012
I want to be able to make tools using stone age technology, bronze age tech, and iron age tech. This directory focuses on lithic technology.
- The core is the part of the tool that remains after the masonry work is complete. Flakes and debitage are the pieces that are removed from the core.
- the cortex is the outside of the core, the layer of rock that has been shaped by weathering
- broad overview pages
- all techniques fall into three camps: chipping ("flaking"), grinding, or polishing
- chipping (AKA lithic reduction)
- other categories of techniques may be: pecking, pounding, drilling, and incising
- final tools/objects
- starting materials
- applied physics of stones
- Don Crabtree — a pillar of experimental archaeology, particularly flintknapping